About Me

After a career of over 40 years as an academic psychologist, I started a new career as a public historian of Chinese American history that led to five Yin & Yang Press books and over 100 book talks about the lives of early Chinese immigrants and their families operating laundries, restaurants, and grocery stores. This blog contains more research of interest to supplement my books.

5/28/20

More Surprises About the Chinese Jugglers Troupe 1850s Tour of the U.S.

In a previous post describing my research into why my father went directly to Chattanooga, Tennessee, when he emigrated from Hoiping in1921, I mentioned stumbling upon a notice of a troupe of jugglers from China performing in Montgomery, Alabama. Surprised by this intriguing find, I searched for more information and learned that this troupe performed in several places in the U.S. with impressive skill and artistry.




Now, about a  year later I got another surprise when I received an email from Tony Bosch Reitz, in Melbourne, Australia.  His maternal great grandfather, Frederick Taen, was one of the jugglers of this troupe that also performed in England and Europe! Reitz gave me a link to a poster for an 1853  performance in Natchez, Mississippi.


Reitz also included an1867 photograph of Ar Hee, in costume, posing with his two sons, Frederick and Alfred Taen, and a friend.





No comments:

Post a Comment