About Me

After a career of over 40 years as an academic psychologist, I started a new career as a public historian of Chinese American history that led to five Yin & Yang Press books and over 100 book talks about the lives of early Chinese immigrants and their families operating laundries, restaurants, and grocery stores. This blog contains more research of interest to supplement my books.

3/18/19

Handbook of Chinese in America (1946) Update 2019



As noted in an earlier post I made in 2012, a listing of Chinese businesses in the U.S. was published in 1946 and called, Handbook of Chinese in America. It is extensive, but it is unknown how complete it was as a business probably had to pay to be listed.

I could not find any copy for sale but a handful of university libraries had copies.  I borrowed one via Interlibrary loan and xeroxed the roughly 250 pages of listings which have been valuable for my research.

Today, I stumbled upon a beautifully scanned copy from the National Central Library in Taiwan.  I include a screenshot of 2 pages, 414-415.  The first 408 pages are in Chinese; you can jump ahead if you enter a page number between 409 and 651 in the little window at the top of the screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment