About Me

After a career of over 40 years as an academic psychologist, I started a new career as a public historian of Chinese American history that led to five Yin & Yang Press books and over 100 book talks about the lives of early Chinese immigrants and their families operating laundries, restaurants, and grocery stores. This blog contains more research of interest to supplement my books.

3/25/12

It's A "Small World" Among Chinese Americans


       An excerpt from an invited talk I gave in the spring of 2011 on "Psych Day"at California State University, Long Beach that describes how I was surprised yo discover the close connections among Chinese Americans, at least of my generation. There seemed to be fewer than the "six degrees of separation"or "small world" phenomenon studied by psychologist Stanley Milgram, among others.
        The closeness in this population greatly facilitated the development of the research for my 4 books on the Chinese American experience. For specific and detailed examples, visit Expected the Unexpected: In Search of Chinese American History.

No comments:

Post a Comment