About Me

After a career of over 40 years as an academic psychologist, I started a new career as a public historian of Chinese American history that led to five Yin & Yang Press books and over 100 book talks about the lives of early Chinese immigrants and their families operating laundries, restaurants, and grocery stores. This blog contains more research of interest to supplement my books.

1/8/11

Two Weeks and Four Talks in the Delta, Sept. 2008

What a fortnight! Southern hospitality in the land of cotton, the blues, and Chinese grocery stores. I got to visit several stores and see many of the small towns that I knew well by name. I had a sense of deja vu from all the research I had done for writing Chopsticks in the Land of Cotton, but it was still worthwhile to actually be there and see the remnants of the past as vividly sensed by seeing the empty shells of formerly active and vibrant grocery stores now deserted and crumbling.

MORE

No comments:

Post a Comment